Blog Summary

A blog for poetry, prose, and pop culture.

Friday, February 19, 2010

Introspection

Hey all,

A bit of a different type of introspection in this post. Today is a day of change for me. My room mate, and best friend, is moving out and I certainly have a bit of mixed emotion. I met my best friend Jason in 7th grade and I really treasure the friend ship we have made over the past 20 years.

We became friends in class finding common interests, things like comic books, super heroes, and art. It was a friendship that we cultivated all throughout high school and into our first years of college. Into our first year at college we also became room mates with another friend of ours. We were room mates up until the year 2000, when he moved to San Francisco to attend art school. He lived there for five years studying art but despite the distance, our friendship never suffered. We still talked regularly and met for Comic Con each year. After he graduated, he moved back to Arizona and luckily we were both in a situation where we needed a room mate. He moved into my house and we have been room mates for nearly 5 years.

Today he is moving in with his girlfriend Autumn. It's time for them to move in together. They are so perfect for each other and I am genuinely happy for each of them. Still, a little part of me is sad that this chapter of my life is closing. With Jason though, he's more than just my best friend, he's a part of my family. We are closer than brothers and I don't think there is anything that we wouldn't do for each other. I'll miss the easy banter and the daily in jokes that we shared. I'll miss seeing my best friend every day.

Look, I am really happy for him and his girlfriend. I don't want that to be misconstrued in any way. There's a time and a place for each person to take that step and this is one that is over due. Its not like he is moving far away, or that I'm not gonna be able to hang out with him any more. We will still be friends.

Still I want to say a few words. Jason is my best friend. Thank you brother. Thanks for being there for me over the years. Thanks for more things than I can say. I always looked at you as a source of inspiration, someone who continued to follow their dreams in the face of adversity. Someone who challenges me to be more creative. Someone who challenges me to be a better person. You've changed my life. Thank you.


God this probably sounds really gay. Still, I hope you understand. You've been my best friend for 20 years. I'm looking forward to find out what the next 20 will bring because it's been a great ride. Somethings may change, we may not be room mates any more or hang out every day, but there is one thing I know that won't change. Our friendship. Thanks Jason, you are the best.

End of Line.
Gerrad!

No comments: