Blog Summary

A blog for poetry, prose, and pop culture.

Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Flash Fiction: The Call

Part 1 (of2)

It had been a long day at work and I was tired. As i walked into my apartment, I found it empty, my roommates still at their jobs or classes. I started my usual post work routines, emptying my pockets onto the night stand and stripping off my work clothes. I threw the whole pile into the hamper and headed for the bathroom to shower. I figured a quick shower would help wash the day I had off me and give me time to get on the computer before my roommates showed up.

As I lathered over the soap, I began to reflect on things that I hadn't really let myself think about too much. It had been 10 days since my mother had ran off with that guy she met on the Internet and things had been hard. My brother had taken a lot of my mom's ill will before she left and Dad fluctuated between sadness and anger at the situation. I turned the water a little hotter, and tried to crowd these thoughts out of my head. It had been rough for all of us, but more so for them. We hadn't seen or heard from her since that day at the airport when Dad and me had confronted them, and the surreal chase that followed before they lost us on the freeway.

After toweling off I brushed my teeth and freshened up. My roommates had mentioned going out for my birthday tonight, I was turning 21 and a little bit of fun may be just what the doctor ordered. After finishing up in the bathroom I headed into my room and turned on my computer. As it booted up I proceeded to get dressed and as I was buttoning up my shirt, I heard my cell phone ring. I didn't recognize the number, but I thought it may be work related so I answered it.

"Hello?"

"Hi honey...happy birthday."

It was my mom.


End of Line.
Gerrad!

No comments: