Blog Summary

A blog for poetry, prose, and pop culture.

Sunday, August 03, 2008

Viva Las Vegas!

Happy August all!

July has been tagged and bagged and into another month. The year is half over already and time seems to be moving at a much faster pace this year. Anyway onto the events of the weekend.

My good pal Bill turned 30 while I was at Comic Con, and his wife Carmen planned out a great surprise party for him. As many things coincided with the two of them not really being able to celebrate his birthday on the actual day between their jobs, they had arranged to take a weekend trip on the following week. Bill believed that he was going to Sedona with his wife. The truth was that she had called of of his friends and arranged a surprise trip to Las Vegas where he would get to hand out and party in Vegas with his guy friends, while she and the ladies took in the sights and a show.

Bill was really surprised to see all of us there, including his friend Jesse who flew in from LA with his girlfriend. I drove up after work on Friday by myself, having failed to secure a direct flight to Vegas (there was no way I was doing a layover in LA that would have taken me longer than it did to drive) I even took my PC with the thought of blogging and updating post party time. The hotel we stayed at, the Imperial Palace, charged $6.00 and HOUR for Wi-Fi, so I said screw that plan.

We did the usual routines in Vegas, though I am not much of a gambler. We generally drank and partied until we couldn't take it anymore. It was doubly cool though that the hotel was hosting Roller Con 2008, a 2 day collection of well over 700 Roller Derby Girls. Drunk punk rock girls in tights and short skirts always makes things better. Probably the most fun we had was the late night to early morning karaoke session at the hotel. Bill with his fantastically bad cover of David Lee Roth's Just a Gigolo, me doing a heavily censored Ballad of Chasey Lain from the Bloodhound Gang, and Bill's co-worked Brad covering Plush by STP. The part that was really fun was the three of us covering Journey's Don't Stop Believin' and the entire room surging the stage to sing along. All of us at the top of our lungs belting out those lyrics, roller girls breaking down the barricades to the stage to grind and kiss on us as we sang. I see how rock stars get all that tail now. Literally the whole place, at least 100 to 150 people singing Journey. It was an incredible experience.

We also hit some great buffets with crab legs and prime rib. Up until Comic Con I was still on my faithful Vegan diet, which we all agreed that I should lift for vacation. I extended it to this weekend so as not to complicate matters when we went out to eat, but starting Monday I'm heading back onto it. My goal will be to continue to cut out meats and fried foods, eggs, and limiting dairy to skim milks and slight cheeses. I think I will add in some grilled chicken to allow for some variety, but limiting that. I keep hearing that I am losing weight, but I'll be happier when I can notice it.

Anyway, Las Vegas was a lot of fun and I look forward to posting up soon. I stopped halfway on the trip up to Vegas to attempt to write a poem at a very scenic location, full of mountains and valleys, but the mood wasn't right to finish it. I will try to take another crack at it and post that soon. I also want to run another Introspection and try to catch the films that I have fallen behind on, specifically Step Brothers by this weekend. Maybe even an original Flash Fiction. I hope you enjoyed the post, thanks for sticking with me.

End of Line.
Gerrad!

No comments: