Blog Summary

A blog for poetry, prose, and pop culture.

Monday, August 25, 2008

Flash Fiction: Confessions

Part 3 (of 3)

I stood in shocked silence. After all this time I had finally told her, and she was pregnant. Stuck in that place between heartbreak and outrage, words were lost to me. My mouth moved in silent speech as I looked for a way out of this. A way to take back what had been said.

She rose from her seat, the tears from her eyes leaving dark trails of mascara on her cheeks. She grabbed my hand and told me not to be sad. She told me of how much these past weeks had meant to her and how how important I was in her life. Of all the people in the world, I had never let her down.

I knew before she had finished with her speech what was coming though. She was going back to him. For all I was and all I could be, to her was a friend. Sure maybe a close friend, maybe there was a possibility in some distant future of more. But for now, and for her, I wasn't enough.

She launched into a litany of reasons why she was going back to him. For the baby, for the future, for what that child would mean to their relationship. Because he deserved a chance to be a husband and a father. She begged for an apology, she begged me not to be angry with her. How she needed me, to be a friend.

I said all the right things to put her at ease. Told her I would be there if she needed me. Told her I understood and that everything would be okay. She hugged me tightly and kissed me on the cheek.

After dinner she went to his house and I went home. They had a beautiful baby girl together and were quite happy. For about 3 months. He cheated on her again and left her to fend for the baby alone. I never talked to her again.


End of Line.
Gerrad!

No comments: