Blog Summary

A blog for poetry, prose, and pop culture.

Monday, January 21, 2008

Movie Review: Cloverfield

Hey all,

First off, I know that the last few posts have been movie heavy and I promise that I'll get back to some Flash Fiction tomorrow, but I had the chance to see Cloverfield Sunday night and wanted to put my thoughts down on the film.

First off, no matter how this comes across, I really liked the film. I thought it was fun and it kept me on the edge of my seat the entire time. I thought that the acting and look of the film was done very well, it really made you feel like you were a part of the movie. J. J. Abrams produced the film, and as one of the main creative forces behind Lost and shows like Alias, he certainly knows entertainment.

That being said, this is not what I would call an original film. It's basically Godzilla meets the Blair Witch Project. A giant seemingly unstoppable Lovecraftian monster is laying waste to New York City and you witness the events through a group of party-goers who decide to rescue their trapped friend in the heart of the city. The entire film is shot with a hand held "shaky cam." You see the movie through the lense of one of the party-goers, who was documenting the party, but decides the event that are unfolding before him must be recorded so people will know.

As long as you don't suffer from motion sickness, this is definitely a film to see in theatres. Like Blair Witch, the sounds and ambiance of a theatre really add to the tension and drama before you, as opposed to watching it on your couch. The actors, none of whom are "famous" really get you involved in the story. The effects shot were also well done, and I was happy to see that they did give you some very clean shots of the monster, instead of just grainy whip pans with the camera that would cover the creature.

I enjoyed Cloverfield a lot. Just remember what I said about motion sickness, already theatres are warning viewers about the film as many movie-goers have gotten sick and had to leave. It's Godzilla, American style. (Just forget that terrible 1998 version with Matthew Broderick shall we?)


End of Line.
Gerrad!

No comments: