Blog Summary

A blog for poetry, prose, and pop culture.

Saturday, January 19, 2008

Movie Review: 2007 Part 2

Hey all,

For today's follow up column I thought I would post my Top 5 Worst Films of 2007. I saw a lot of movies in 2007 and the fact that I didn't like so many of them should have made this an easy column. It's hard to call some of the bottom films the WORST of 2007, as I didn't see some of the films that invariably should be on this list, like Hostel Part 2 or P2, or any of the other wide assortment of terrible horror films that were released. Anyway here is my Top 5.

5- Ghost Rider

Maybe one of the worst super hero films since Halle Berry's Catwoman, I hated pretty much every aspect of the bronze plated turd. The direction, story and acting were all sub par. One of the single lowest points of this film is when Ghost Rider, a demon from hell that hunts demons, finds the most appropriate response of police officers shooting at him is to flip them off. He's a demon and he gave the cops the finger. Terrible. Don't even get me started on Nic Cage's hairpiece.

4- 28 Weeks Later-

All I wanted was something that was akin to the first film. 28 Weeks Later was long, boring and didn't really drive the story like the original. I also thought the quality of actors was a step back. I just didn't care about the characters of the people they were trying to protect. I think the biggest problem was that I expected nothing in the first and I got gold, and in the second I expected silver or bronze and didn't even medal.

3- Pirates of the Caribbean 3: At World's End

Just an over the top gluttony of buffoonish acting, with the effects over story telling mentality that crippled the second film. The first film found that natural balance between story and effects and the franchise never felt the same. Honestly Orlando Bloom and Keira Knightly weren't even needed in that film. Hated it.

2- Spider-man 3

Probably the most disappointing film of 2007, with my expectations being so high. The first 2 films are perfect examples of how to make a super hero movie, balance the story with the action. Here it feels like they were trying to make two different movies, the Sandman story that Sam Raimi wanted, and the Venom film the studio wanted. It was too much to really pull off in a single movie, they should o introduced the symbiote in the film and left the character of Venom for the follow up in Spider-man 4.

1- Transformers

I fully understand that I will be flamed as I am one of the only people I know who hated this movie so. It took everything I loved about Transformers and ruined them Optimus looked terrible, Bumblebee was a Camaro, I don't know what Megatron transformed into, was that a dinosaur with jets attached? Why did one Decepticon transform into scorpion, and the rest into vehicles? Maybe I am to much of a purist but I just wanted it to be closer to what I remember. I am okay with making changes for the sake of movies, but it was just to many for me. Add that Micheal Bay is known for making big budget no story action flicks, well I hated it. I also respect that so many of you did like the film. You just won't catch me at Transformers 2.

I'd also give an honorable mention to Shrek 3 and Oceans Thirteen.

Anyway there is my list, I am planning one more movie list this week highlighting some of the most anticipated films of 2008. Thanks for reading.

End of Line.
Gerrad!

No comments: