Blog Summary

A blog for poetry, prose, and pop culture.

Sunday, October 14, 2007

The Line Up

Hey all,

I figured I would get around to posting my thoughts on the fall schedule finally, as we are entering the fourth week of programming. Never before have I been so excited about so many different programs in one season, and ultimately ended up so underwhelmed. I am watching alot of these programs, but none of them have the same compelling viewling natures of my tried and true returning favorites, like Lost, Heroes, The Office or Battlestar Galactica.

My favorite new shows so far are Pushing Daisies, about a guy who can reanimate the dead, and Journeyman, sort of a Quantum Leap with a recurring cast. Daisies is fun and quirky and totally unlike anything else on television. Ultimately I feel that is what is going to cancel the show, Its too fun and quirky, so different that I don't know if most people will get the shows vibe. I also feel that Journeyman will also be canceled, I haven't read a lot of favorable reviews and I don't think it can decide if it wants to be self contained in each episode, or have a broader more Lost or Heroes type of serial storyline. That being said, I loved the concept of Quantum Leap and this is pretty much the same, updated and tweaked sure, but still engaging and I like that by watching every week you get a bigger picture, but if you miss an episode you aren't totally lost. I guess I like what I think most people will dislike.

Bionic Woman is a real toss up for me. I really dislike the actress playing the bionic woman, but I really like BSG's Katee Sackhoff as the lead baddie. She is a totally dominating actress on the screen and really overpowers the main character whenever they share screen time. Since some f the producers of this show are involved with BSG, I feel they can right the ship. They need to make us care about the Jaime Summers character and give her some strength of character, I feel if the lead can step up her role, and tone down her litle sister per episode, I think you will have a good show. I'm sticking with it for now.

Close to the chopping block is Reaper. I haven't removed it yet, but other than the Devil, I don't really like any of the characters, its Clerks meets Buffy, with none of the pop culture cred. What made those other shows great is the pop culture nerdity that they embraced, while focusing the show on that genre audiance that sticks with shows like that. Reaper sems to me to be going for a broader appeal, and really falling short.

Just a few more show notes, The Office has been fantastic this season and we are 2 weeks away from the final season of Scrubs, both of which should really solidify a powerful Thursday night with My Name is Earl. Heroes had a slow premier episode, but it really has been heating up since then. I am very excited to see where this is going.

That about sums up the TV lineup, thanks for reading.

End of Line.
Gerrad!

No comments: