Blog Summary

A blog for poetry, prose, and pop culture.

Monday, February 09, 2009

Introspection

Hey all,

I got word today that my step mom has suffered a mild stroke. This really caught me off guard. My step mom, Sherry, has been really good for my Dad. She came into his life at a time where he was really at a crossroads. Divorced from my Mom, who he had been with almost 30 years, working at a job he really hated. He had been on dates, some good, some bad, and Sherry really came along and did the only thing I wanted her to do. Made my Dad happy.

Sherry has always been very supportive of my brother and me, and it really pains me to not be there right now. My Dad has always been a pillar of strength to everyone around him. A person I have really admired in my life who has set the bar of fatherhood really high. Now he is thousands of miles away in Ohio, and I am here in Phoenix. I feel like I should be there for him the way he was always there for me.

Sure, he said the stroke was mild but that doesn't change how I feel or what I feel is my duty. I felt like after my parents divorced, it was my job to be the mediary. The one person that anyone in the family could turn to in times of trouble. It was my job to keep the peace when things between my Mom and brother got to rough, or offer Dad an ear to lend when he needed someone to talk to. Now Dad is a pretty stoic guy and though those times may not have been as plentiful for him as they were for me, still I like to think that he knows all he has to do is ask and I am there.

So today I find myself reflecting on the fragility of life and the importance of surrounding yourself with people who love and support you. I hope my Dad knows the thoughts and prayers I have for him and for Sherry, and that I am here if he needs me. I don't really know how to feel about this, Mostly its just frustration that I can't be there for Dad when he needs me most. I have to hope that he knows how much I love and care for them both, and that there is nothing I wouldn't do for them.

End of Line.
Gerrad!

No comments: