Blog Summary

A blog for poetry, prose, and pop culture.

Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Movie Review: Semi-Pro

Hey all,

It's been a while since I hit the theatre, but yesterday's all managers meeting was held at a rented theatre, and after the meeting we got to watch Semi-Pro, with Will Ferrell and Woody Harrelson. Kind of a surprising choice, though I don't think much research was done to understand that it was an pretty graphic (at least in terms of language) film that they claimed was picked for it's broad appeal.

Circumstances aside, I came to find myself laughing a lot more than the trailers would have left me to believe. At some point over this past year or two I have found myself enjoying these ridiculous comedies more and more, Talledega Nights, Walk Hard and now Semi-Pro. I also remember laughing a lot more at Blades of Glory than I think I would like to admit, though I am pretty sure that it wouldn't hold up on repeated viewings.

Semi-Pro is about a former disco one hit wonder Jackie Moon (Will Farrell) who used his money gained from the song to buy the American Basketball Association team, The Flint Michigan Tropics. The league is struggling to find attendance and popularity vs the more popular NBA, and determines that they will integrate the leagues at the end of the season. The four best teams will continue, the rest will be dissolved. Jackie Moon's mission is to raise attendance and awareness of the Tropics and take them from last place to fourth.

Ferrell is at his usual self in the movie, blending broad appeal with absurdity and a generous helping of foul mouthed humor. I laughed and was more into the movie than I thought. It's a funny, passable film, especially in a time of poor box office choices. If you liked films like Talledega Nights and Blades of Glory, even Anchorman to an extent, (though not as quotable) Semi-Pro is a funny movie and a decent way to spend an hour and a half. There is plenty of oer the top moments to give you a few chuckles.

Thanks for reading.

End of Line.
Gerrad!

No comments: