Blog Summary

A blog for poetry, prose, and pop culture.

Sunday, June 21, 2009

On.... Writing

Hey all,

Just wanted to drop a line on my last Flash Fiction post, Seven Years Later. This marks my 100th Flash Fiction entry on the sight, the first way back on December 2, 2007. So 100 posts in about a year and a half. I am not sure if that is good production or not, but I am proud that I am sticking by it. I have written several different stories over the years, some fictional, some based on truth, some just meant to tell a story. For my 100th post I wanted to do something along the lines of my first short story attempts, something in a more serious literary vein that western zombies or stripper dating private eyes. I wanted to tell a sad story.

I don't usually preface my stories with bits of inspiration or story element origins, simply because I think stories are less an element of interpretation than poetry. Not that it can't be, but for the most part the author of a story tells the story he wants to tell, the author of a poem leaves room for interpretation. Seven Years Later is very much based on a true incident that happened to me a few weeks back, though with some elements fictionalized. For my 100th post on the subject I thought I would take a few moments to talk about the story, about how I felt.

It really did kind of happen this way, where I told a girl how I felt and she shit me down. I didn't really talk to her after that, though I did see her at her own wedding and watching that was a lot harder than I would ever have admitted to. These days she doesn't cross my mind as much, but seeing her like that dredged up some emotions I thought long buried.

Anyway I hope you like the slightly different flavor of story. Stay tuned as I will be approaching another anniversary in a few months, my 100th poem! I also have actual plans to get back to The Darkest Dawn Next month with my vacation up, and I am planning on a doing a bit of work with my best friend, hopefully set in a world that anyone who has read this blog might be familiar with. Thanks for sticking with me through 100 stories. Hope to see you in another 100!

End of Line.
Gerrad!

No comments: