Blog Summary

A blog for poetry, prose, and pop culture.

Saturday, May 24, 2008

Flash Fiction: Rocket's Race

Day 3

Hey it's me, Rocket. So, I quit my job today. I figured that if I only have 3 months to live, I am not gonna spend it behind some desk, shoveling order forms for crap that people pay for and don't even need. I am going to seize all the opportunities in life that I missed out on, all the things people dream about doing, starting with quitting this job.

I know I am not the only person while at work who fantasises about quiting in a spectacular fashion. You know the fantasies, storming up to your boss and calling him a prick. Telling him to take his stupid fucking job and his shitty little power trip and shove it up his ass. Or better yet, finally telling one of those customers who ride your ass what you really want to say to them. The ones that are just such total asses that you want to call them every name in the book, and probably a few that aren't, and just unload on them. That's what I did today.

The look on my bosses face as I am shouting at a customer on the phone. My co-workers expressions of shock as I reel off a list of obscenities so foul that even I didn't know what I was capable off. The best part of the day was the feeling I got after going at my boss. My boss was always one of those people who made sure you knew that he was in charge, always dug at you a little bit, not enough to be out and out an asshole, but the perception was always there. It felt so good to relive my self of the stress and anxiety and the years of bottled up rage that I had held deep inside. I wasn't even aware of how angry I really was for wasting so much precious time with something that I hated so much. I didn't even realize how unhappy I was until I was finally done.

I walked out of that office with a small cardboard box filled with my few possessions under my arm, my face aglow with a smile. My whole body felt more free than I had felt in years. A smile beaming from ear to ear, and it seemed the weight of the world had risen from my shoulders. And for the first time in a long time, I felt alive. Truly alive.

End of Line.
Gerrad!

No comments: