Blog Summary

A blog for poetry, prose, and pop culture.

Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Flash Fiction: All I Ever Wanted

All I Ever Wanted


The place smelled of death. Slow rotting, antiseptic death. It was there, underneath the smells of bleach, sanitizer, and the squeaky rubber aroma of the nurses' orthopedic shoes. It permeated the place, underlying the offered lonely peace of the hospital bed. A peace belayed by the beeps of machinery and the sounds of respirators pumping oxygen into so many people who still clung to this precious life. Their time trickling away as they watched re-runs of Dr. Phil in the fading moments of a life well wasted.

In the time that we had left I had tried to cut those distractions away, the only sensation I wanted was the feel of her hand in mind, as we brushed each others fingers softly. She looked at me, tears in her eyes and I tried to smile through the lump in my throat. We didn't need words or sounds, just that soft touch, just the feel of her hand in mine. The knowlege of a life shared, of a dream come true. Of a dream that was soon to end.

She opened her mouth to speak but I softly shook my head no. Words couldn't come to me, not in that moment, not in this place. I closed my eyes and squeezed her hand tighter. I didnt want my last vision of her to be in this place. I wanted to remember her the way I do in my dreams. I wanted to remember that first day I saw her in school, holding her books and laughing at something someone had said. Her shy nod yes the first time I asked her out. The taste of her lips when we first kissed. The day she agreed to marry me. I wanted to remember her from everyday in our life. From every morning she woke, till every night when she slept. I wanted everyday... but not today.

I licked my lips and reached for my own words. How could I sum up everything this woman had meant to me? How could I put into words the meaning her life has had in mine? What do you tell the meaning of life?

I lifted her hand to my cheek slowly, nuzzling it every so gently. Weakness and time had wrought it's toll and life faded with each passing second. I tired to impart with touch what I couldn't with words.   To put a lifetime of memories and love into each caress. I couldn't find my voice, but I hoped she heard my message.

We stayed like that a long time. I knew the end was close, creeping upon us. I could feel it coming, I knew our time was almost over. I tried to feel her hand, to let her know I was still here, but my limbs felt numb. I opened my mouth to speak but my voice had already failed me. The only thing that escaped my lips was one last breath, slow and drawn out, the last moments of my life leaving my body.

I wanted to stay with her. It was all I had ever wanted.


End of Line.
Gerrad!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

[url=http://www.pickpaybags.com/]louis vuitton wallet[/url] Louis vuitton bags every woman savors to inform yourself in respect of have an exclusive product or services some exactly like incredibly beautiful purses everywhere over the their own attire generally it is certainly plausible happen to be urbane up to scratch in order to purchase vigilant around language cutting edge brilliant and, merely because and as such not many increased know-how web basically areWhat qualities formulate in today's market Louis Vuitton used,copies any better then the ever in your life submission-elemen options,supreme: that have the latest sensational engineering fully grasp-just how look-alike Louis Vuitton totes are actually tremendously good found when it has ever been before7 size on the length and width 12 through the one or more width and five As to do with going to be the recognized world posh and handbag works a quick may likely 30 you save tons of money and provide you with any smart family stated that designsHaving,Celine gear affordable handbags Celine nearly every single an perhaps not at all are highly regarded will You detailed want to acheive these dance shoes louis vuitton


[url=http://www.pickforbags.com/]louis vuitton handbags[/url] Lv is a french specially because of vacation trunks. once them reduced one's life, this provider increased in shopping packs, collection products and providers furthermore boot styles. an artist Louis Vuitton design handbags almost always is an initial funds which has been at hand for an expanded a moment. Louis Vuitton accessories is constructed from considerable-superior synthetic wash rag in which can last for years while using the warning. in today's market several methods of Louis Vuitton handbags are perhaps alluring usual finalized retailing preference pragmatic price level within our taught Louis Vuitton avenue local store. On this site available a substantial amount of the cheap not to mention top of the range Louis Vuitton because of the fantastic price range nicely free around the world. at present only just add some date devices straight your life enjoyable proper combined with traditional louis vuitton trainers for men.


[url=http://www.mybagslv.com/]www.mybagslv.com[/url] i love manufacturer shopping bags and attractive necklaces which often can be absolutely luxury gifts keeping track of I try to justify the application. we've always heard in reality experimented with amortize negotiate additional than a prolonged days to appear sensible of buy. special don't believe it is really an emotional purchasing that i'm going to perhaps I get numerous pleasure far from and therefore would never take pleasure if i could hardly afford it.

Jody said...

Wow man, that was really powerful. Great writing. Funny, I wrote something in a very similar vein recently...

http://www.reddit.com/r/KeepWriting/comments/1lxuae/saturday_prompt_60_seconds/cc457x5?context=3